OZONE FOR SWIMMING POOLS
OZONE FOR YOUR SWIMMING POOL OR SPA
The use of Ozone in your swimming pool or spa replaces traditional chlorine disinfection, which has done it's job in millions of swimming pools world wide. The problem with chlorine is that it can cause sore eyes and does cause an odour to emanate from the pool. Chlorine can be corrosive and also has a limited kill spectrum. Ozone is far more powerful than chlorine and doesn't cause sore eyes. Ozone doesn't require you to store bulky containers. It is a smart choice to disinfect your pool.
THINGS TO KNOW
When deciding on Ozone disinfection for your pool, there are some important factors that need to be considered.
- The volume of the pool.
- If the pool is heated.
- Is the pool used as a swimming school?
The reason these must be considered is for us to determine the bacterial load on the pool. For example, a swimming school has a much higher bacterial load than a normal residential pool. In the case of a swimming pool, the Ozone unit will be larger and it may be wise to install a UV unit prior to the Ozone to assist in disinfection.
Another factor to consider is cost. Ozone requires an initial investment in the unit. But once it's installed - that's it! An annual check is all it needs.
THE DISPURA POOL KIT
- Ozone generator in an enclosure
- Silicon tubing
- 50mm Venturi
- Non return valve
- UV fixture - depending on requirements
HOW IT WORKS
The Ozone generator is 220V, so it can be wired into your pool electrical system. A 50mm venturi is installed in the pipeline. When water is being pumped through the venturi, Ozone is drawn into the water. the Ozone is only drawn in when water is being pumped.
The mixer is installed after the venturi to ensure a proper mixture of Ozone in the water.
The venturi is connected to the Ozone unit by ozone resistant silicon tubing & a non return valve is installed to prevent water running back into the Ozone chamber.
FACTS ABOUT OZONE TO REMEMBER
- Ozone is a disinfectant or sanitizer, it's not a cleaner.
- Ozone is affected by temperature - the half life of Ozone decreases with temperature. Greater than 40 degrees and it doesn't work.
- Ozone is 3000 times faster to disinfect than chlorine
- The bacterial load of the pool will affect the efficacy. The higher the load, the more Ozone required.
- In the case of large public pools, it would be preferable to have an Oxygen concentrator supplying the Ozone generator.
- There are certain environmental factors that can affect Ozone performance, such as heavier than normal rainfall.
IS IT SAFE?
Yes it is. Ozone is perfectly safe to use in your pool without any side effects. It won't explode, cause fire or cause the normal irritations associated with conventional disinfectants.
Maintenance is simple - keep the unit clean, check the connections every 6 months. It is suggested that the unit is service once a year. If a UV unit is installed as well, this will need to be checked and lamp replacement is normally once every 2 years.
A swimming pool treated with a 10g Ozone unit supplied by Dispura and installed by Poolpro.
IS IT FOR ME?
We believe that Ozone offers more than conventional chlorine. It is unobtrusive yet effective. It may cost more up front than what you spend on chlorine, but it is a once-off purchase. After that, Ozone works without requiring you to purchase chemicals.
Give us a call or drop us a mail for more info.